Health and Wellness
School wellness policies must include nutrition guidelines to promote student health and reduce childhood obesity for all foods available at district schools. Districts must also provide assurance that guidelines for reimbursable meals will not be less restrictive than federal regulations and guidance issued by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The following links provide important resources to ensure that guidelines are up-to-date.
- Nutrition Standards for School Meals | USDA-FNS
- Competitive Foods and Beverages - Healthy Eating & Nutrition Education (CA Dept of Education)
- California School Food Standards Calculator: This link provides a calculator to determine if school food sales meet state guidelines.
Helpful Nutrition Promotion Outreach Resources
- Fact Sheet: Schools Serving, Kids Eating Healthier School Meals Thanks to Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act | USDA
- Harvest of the Month Fruit and Vegetable Promotion Resources
- USDA School Breakfast Promotion Program
- Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion (CNPP) | USDA-FNS
- Center for Science in the Public Interest Healthier School Lunch Fact Sheets
- Food Safe Schools