California Health Education
CA Health Education Framework
The California Health Education Framework was adopted May 6, 2019.
The Framework is aligned to the 2008 California Health Education Content Standards.
It is available to view and download, by chapter, on the CDE website.
CA Health Education Website
The Orange County Department of Education, in partnership with the California Department of Education, developed a California Health Education website. This website provides abundant Health Education related resources for educators, administrators, families, and communities.
Professional learning opportunities include four asynchronous online informational courses for anyone who desires to learn more about the shifts in CA Health Education. These courses are free and were created as part of the CA Health Education Framework Rollout Project.
Bay Area CA Health Education COP 2022-2023
Meet with educators from across the Bay Area to share ideas, find support, and learn together.
The 2022-2023 Community of Practice will have a Mental Health Education focus. Content highlights will be shared once dates are confirmed.
Next meeting: TBD Fall 2022
Sign up today: tinyurl.com/BayAreaHealthCoP
Resources from May 2022 COP Meeting- Supporting LGBTQ Students
Inclusive Instruction and School Climate
- LGBTQ inclusivity in Schools: A Self-Assessment Tool -California Department of Education
- School Climate Survey- GLSEN
- Framework for Gender Inclusive Schools-Guidelines for teachers and administrators on cultivating an affirming learning environment- Gender Spectrum
PD and Resources
- Caredea: Free eLearning on Training Center
- Rainbow Community Center: SOGIE Resources
- One Circle Foundation: SOGIE Handbook
- Curriculum Resource Guide: Teaching LGBTQ + History
Resources from March 2022 COP meeting- Spotlight on Mental Health Education
- COP 3/22/22 Meeting Slidedeck
- Erika's Lighthouse - A Beacon of Hope for Adolescent Depression - Free programs and resources for Mental Health- click here for more information
- SB-224, which mandates mental health education in California
- The U.S Surgeon General's Youth Mental Health Advisory
- SB224 Mental Health instruction foundations for implementation
- CA Health Education and SB 224 Infographic created by the Alameda County Office of Education
To learn about the Fentanyl Crisis: A Marin County Student-Led Call to Action
Effective January 1, 2022:
“Each school district, county office of education, state special school, and charter school that offers one or more courses in health education to pupils in middle school or high school shall include in those courses instruction in mental health that meets the requirements of this article.” and “On or before January 1, 2024, the department (of Education) shall develop a plan to expand mental health instruction in California public schools.”
- SB224 Infosheet - Developed by the CA Health Education Community of Practice and the CISC Health Subcommittee
- CA Health Education Legislative Update Infographic- Alameda County Office of Education
- Mental Health Instruction Foundations for Implementation- CA Physical Education Health Project
- Mental Health Education Webpage- CA Health Education Website
- Assessment Tools for meeting ed code requirements - Developed by the CA Health Education Community of Practice and the CISC Health Subcommittee